This quinoa tabbouleh salad is my ideal summer salad.
It’s fresh and flavourful, and it’s a complete meal! This salad is high in protein, fibre, and high in yumminess (I don’t know if that’s a word but it is now!). My quinoa tabbouleh is always a hit when I bring it to summer get togethers; I hope you enjoy it as well.
I’ve adapted this recipe from the original version in my e-cookbook, Nourish Your Body. You’ll find lots more healthy and yummy recipes there!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 -1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped cucumber
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped arugula
- 1 cup leafy parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Cook the quinoa: in a small saucepan, combine the stock and quinoa, bring to a boil, and lower the heat. Cook until all the liquid is absorbed , about 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In another pot, cook the eggs. Cover the eggs with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove the eggs from the heat and let sit in the pot for 6 minutes. Remove the eggs, run them under cold water, peel them, and chop them into bite sized pieces.
- In a large salad bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, sea salt and black pepper. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix gently to combine.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate to enjoy later. This salad tastes fantastic the next day.